Essential Oils are a great way to help you steer clear of toxic chemicals in your home and on your body. From cleaning the bathroom to curing warts, essential oils have a wide range of uses. Since there are so many essential oils to choose from with hundreds of different uses, we have narrowed the choices down to five of our favorites.
Tea Tree Oil
- Prevent and treat lice
- Remove and prevent mildew odors in your home
- Make your own Non-Toxic Mildew Spray
- Create a non-toxic cleaning kit
- Make your own spot cleaning wipes
- Saturate a cotton ball and place in stinky trash cans and diaper pails
- Keep spiders and other pests away
- Put 5 drops on a cotton ball and place in your vacuum cleaner bag to keep it smelling fresh (and less like your pets)
- Create Non-Toxic Carpet Deodorizer by adding 5-10 drops of Lemon or Peppermint Essential Oil to a box of baking soda in a jar and shake well. Sprinkle over carpets, let sit for at least an hour, then vacuum.
- Add a 10 ml bottle of Peppermint Oil into a gallon can of paint to help reduce fumes.
- Reduce headaches, stimulate memory and stay alert while driving by inhaling Peppermint Oil
- Soothe sore feet by adding 10 drops Peppermint and 1 tbsp. Epson salt to hot water
- Soak dishcloths and sponges overnight in a bowl of water mixed few drops of Lemon or Tea Tree Oil to disinfect and kill germs.
- Keep kitchen odors away with Lemon Essential Oil
- Take the “stink” out of shoes with Lemon Essential Oil or Tea Tree Oil
- Make a fresh smelling kitchen sink scrub by creating a paste of ½ cup baking soda, ⅛ cup vinegar and 10 drops of Lemon Oil. Scrub sink then rinse.
- Clean fresh fruit by placing in in a bowl of cool water with a few drops of Lemon Essential Oil for a few minutes. Rinse well and store as usual.
- Remove gum, glue, adhesive or crayon from most surfaces with a few drops of Lemon Oil (always test small area first)
- Place 10-15 drops of Lavender Essential Oil on a small piece of terry cloth and toss into the dryer while drying in place of dryer sheets.
- Ease a tension headache by massaging 1-2 drops onto your neck and temples.
- Calm a bee sting or insect bit by putting a drop on the affected area to stop itching reduce swelling.
- Diffuse next to you bed to help you sleep
- Add a few drops to your bath and body products relieve aching muscles and stress.
- Create a compress by soaking a towel in a bowl of water mixed with a few drops of lavender oil. Apply this to sprains or muscle injuries
- Add a few drops to baking soda and water to create an all-natural antibacterial scrub for your bathroom and kitchen.
- Clean your floors with 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and 2 tablespoons of liquid castile soap added to a gallon of hot water.
- Clear up congestion with 2 to 3 drops eucalyptus added 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Rub mixture onto your check and breathe deep.
- Freshen stale air by adding 5 drops to a diffuser or leave out in shallow dishes.
- Prevent mold in the shower by combining 5 drops each of eucalyptus and tea tree oil to 16 oz. of water in spray bottle. Spray down shower after each use to inhibit mold growth.
- Keep fleas off your pets by mixing 3 to 4 drops into your pet’s shampoo.